These vegan savory and spicy chickpea pancakes with spinach are inspired by my love for the Pakistani pakoras. Full of important nutrients and quick to make, this is an all time favorite and go to lunch in our house.
The recipe is quite simple. It uses a lentil or bean flour base. Sometimes, I use yellow split pea flour (which I grind in my Vitamix), and sometimes I use pre-made garbanzo or gram flour. Add some spices, chilis and onions as the second layer. After that, the possibilities are endless. For the vegetable portion, it really depends on what I might have on hand. It varies from kale, spinach, Swiss chard, mustard greens, marjoram, and even shredded sweet potatoes.
When adding water, the consistency just needs to be that of a thick pancake batter. Key is to make the batter and let it sit for at least 10 minutes. The ratio of water is not an exact science and will depend on your actual ingredients. But, I promise, you can’t go wrong as long as you keep it slightly thicker.
For the sauce, you can use any yoghurt of your choice. These pancakes also go really well with this simple spicy avocado sauce.
Ready to try? Let me know how it goes in the comments below.
Chickpea Flour and Spinach Pancakes
- 1 cup chickpea flour or yellow split pea flour
- 1 tsp coriander seed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp dried pomegranate seeds optional
- 1 green chili chopped
- 2 scallions or spring onions
- 1 cup fresh spinach chopped
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup coconut yoghurt or any yoghurt of your choice
- 6 cherry tomatoes chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl and add water to make a pancake like batter.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non-stick pan.
- Ladle about ¼ batter in the pan.
- Cook for about 5 min on each side on medium heat. It will form bubbles on top and cook a little before you can flip it. Make sure to press it a little so it cooks through.
- When golden brown on each side, remove from the heat in a plate.
- For the yoghurt sauce, chop all ingredients and mix in the yoghurt. Season to taste.
- Enjoy an easy peasy vegetarian lunch!